Mr. Schwamp...the man...the mystery.
Mr. Schwamp (or Schwump, as he is better known) is the older dark haired man you often see sitting on the bench outside the barbershop or in groups of people in Mayberry.
Over the years, every cast and crew member of The Andy Griffith Show has been asked if they know the name of the actor who played Mr. Schwamp. While all of them remember him, none of them knows his real name. (And yes, Andy Griffith has been asked, as has Producer Richard Linke.)
There are 22 documented Schwamp episodes:
Mr. Schwamp never speaks so you'll have to watch closely to spot him. A few times he is called by name, but usually he's just in the background, sometimes waaaay in the background.
The Andy Griffith Show
- My Fair Ernest T. Bass (#112/A113F)
- The Rumor (#124A/125F)
- The Fun Girls (#122A/123F)
- The Education of Ernest T. Bass (#131A/133F)
- Otis Sues the County (#142A/141F)
- The Luck of Newton Monroe #156
- Off to Hollywood #166
- Aunt Bee Takes a Job #171
- The Cannon #172
- The Church Organ #174
- Otis the Artist #175
- Aunt Bee Learns to Drive #180
- The Barbershop Quartet #191
- The Lodge #192
- Big Fish in a Small Town #198
- Only a Rose #203
- Don't Miss a Good Bet #205
- Floyd's Barbershop #210
- The Statue #211
- The Church Benefactors #238
- Barney Hosts a Summit Meeting #240
- Mayberry, RFD #241
- Sam for Town Council #247
Gomer Pyle, USMC
- One Of Our Shells is Missing - Pyle and Sgt. Carter are in an army surplus store trying to locate a missing mortar shell, when Mr. Schwump walks across the back of the pawn shop.