Howard's New Life (TAGS Episode)
Howard's New Life
- Filmed: 235
- Aired: 234
- Original Air Date: 1967/12/18
- Writer(s): Dick Bensfield and Perry Grant
- Director: Lee Phillips
Howard throws caution to the wind, leaving Mayberry, and moves to a Caribbean paradise. Renting a shack on the beach, he realizes that island life is not for him and returns to rediscover his true pot of gold in his old hometown.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Sir Lancelot was actually born Lancelot Victor Edward Pinard, in Cumuto, Trinidad, West Indies. It wasn't until schooling took him to New York City in 1940 that he discovered a love of calypso music. In a profession where successful artists commonly took names like King Radio or Lord Invader, it was natural for someone named Lancelot to choose the stage name Sir Lancelot. With that name he wrote and performed calypso for movies, live theater, and radio beginning in the 1940's. On the side, he did some acting along the way.
- Actor Harry Dean Stanton was the best man at the wedding of TAGS alum Jack Nicholson. Prior to 1971, he was credited in films and on TV as Dean Stanton so as to avoid any confusion with character actor Harry Stanton. Both of these men appeared in a 1969 episode of "Petticoat Junction". Harry Dean fronts a band called "The Harry Dean Stanton Band" which regularly performs in the Los Angeles area. He sings and plays guitar. The band plays a mix of jazz, pop, and tex-mex styles. The band often plays in Hollywood at 'Jack's Sugar Shack'.
- The island to which Howard briefly moves is named "St. Benedict's".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Paul Hartman - Emmett Clark
- Jack Dodson - Howard Sprague
- George Lindsey - Goober Pyle
- Harry Dean Stanton - proprietor
- Don Keefer - Grover
- Sam Greene - Wes
- Sir Lancelot - realtor
- Mark Brown - Sebastian