Guitar Player Returns, The (TAGS Episode)
The Guitar Player Returns
- Filmed: 31
- Aired: 31
- Original Air Date: 1961/05/16
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Hometown hero Jim Lindsey makes a flashy return, but the town soon suspects he is not the big star he appears to be. After Andy investigates, he learns Jim cannot pay his bills. Furthermore, a collection agent shows up in Mayberry to repossess Jim's new Merecedes. Andy takes matters into his own hands, calls in Bobby Fleet, and Bobby and Jim patch up their creative differences.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Herb Ellis appeared in the classic Clint Eastwood film "Hang 'em High".
- Actor James Best is best known for his part as "Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane" in 141 episodes of "The Dukes Of Hazzard". He also directed 3 episodes and was associate producer of the Burt Reynolds movie "The End". James is also a painter. He creates many oil paintings and has his own website. His beach home was destroyed by Hurricane Frederick in September of 1979.
- The roadster driven by Jim Lindsey in this episode,is a Mercedes-Benz 190 SL. Manufactured as an entry level Mercedes convertible, the 190 was very popular in the US in the late 50's, and early 60's.
- At the beginning of the episode, Jim Lindsey comes into the courthouse and starts playing his guitar. The guitar he is holding is acoustic, but the sounds we hear are clearly coming from an electric guitar.
- When Jim Lindsey finishes playing his guitar in Andy's living room, the applause from Andy, Barney, Ellie and Aunt Bee is clearly sweetened on the soundtrack.
- Earle Hagen was the music director for The Andy Griffith Show and Earle said the person playing was Barney Kessel. Earle ought to know.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Dick Elliott - Mayor Pike
- James Best - Jim Lindsey
- Phil Chambers - Jason
- Thomas B. Henry - repossession agent
- Herb Ellis - Bobby Fleet