Guest of Honor (TAGS Episode)
Guest of Honor
- Filmed: 53
- Aired: 53
- Original Air Date: 1962/02/26
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Aaron Ruben
It's Founder's Day again, and this time the celebration centers on honoring the first vistor to town with the key to the city. Unfortunately, the first person to drive in is Sheldon Davis, an expert pickpocket and petty thief. When Andy runs a check on him and finds the truth about their "Guest of Honor" he decides not to tell anyone and just keep a close eye on him until the day is over and he can run him out of town. Barney messes everything up and ends up letting him steal the keys to all the business in the city. Andy foils his plan in the end and catches him red-handed.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Before actor Bill Hickman became a famous movie stuntman, he was James Dean's driver in 1955 when the latter was killed after a roadside accident. Hickman, driving the Ford station-wagon and trailer that hauled Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder, was the first on the scene when he came upon the accident. His work in the movie Bullitt is legendary where he drove the black Dodge Charger 440 Magnum that was pursued by Steve McQueen in his Ford Mustang 390 G.T. For his reputation earned on Bullitt, Hickman was hired by William Friedkin for The French Connection.
- Actor Jay Novello (Sheldon Davis) would later appear as Mt. Pilot lawyer, Neil Bentley in "Otis Sues The County".
- Davis stays in room 81 of the Mayberry Hotel.
- Barclay's Jewelry Store is featured when Davis attempts to rob it. We see this Mayberry business again in "The Loaded Goat".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Jay Novello - Sheldon Davis
- Frank Warren - Art
- Sherwood Keith - Sam
- Bill Hickman - Pierce County policeman