Andy on Trial (TAGS Episode)
Andy on Trial
- Filmed: 61
- Aired: 61
- Original Air Date: 1962/04/23
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
J. Howard Jackson, a wealthy newspaperman, seeks revenge on Sheriff Taylor after Andy tracks him down for failing to appear in Mayberry court for a traffic violation. Unwittingly, Barney becomes a key witness in Jackson's attempt to remove Andy from office, supplying female reporter Jean Boswell with information that is eventually used as evidence against Andy. When Barney is called to the stand, he is able to dispel all doubts that Andy is an honest man of the law and a true public servant.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actress Ruta Lee would later play the part of "Darlene Mason" in the TAGS episode "The Hollywood Party."
- Actor Byron Morrow once played semi-pro basketball in the same league with the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Actor Robert Brubaker was the only actor to play two re-occurring roles on Gunsmoke television series. He was the stagecoach driver Jim Buck in the first few seasons of the show, and portrayed Floyd the bartender (replacing Glenn Strange's character of Sam after Strange died) in the final season of the series.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ruta Lee - Jean Boswell
- Roy Roberts - J. Howard Jackson
- Robert Brubaker - Mr. Milton
- Sally Mansfield - Miss Fenwick
- Byron Morrow - commissioner
- Richard Vath - Mr. Jackson's attorney