Alberta Nelson (August 14, 1937 - April 29, 2006) was an American television actress. She was born on August 14, 1937, and attended Villa Maria Academy and later graduated from Andrews High School in Willoughby, Ohio. After several dramatic parts in television in the early 1960s, Nelson made four guest appearances on "The Andy Griffith Show" and one on "Mayberry R.F.D." - four of the five apparances were as Goober Pyle's girlfriend, Flora Malherbe.
Nelson also appeared in seven movies in the 1960s as Eric Von Zipper's girlfriend in the successful American International "Beach Party" series. She is the only person who appeared in all seven Beach Party movies, including "Beach Party," "Muscle Beach Party" and "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini." Nelson played the leather clad "rat pack" biker chick Puss (sometimes also called Alberta and in one film called Lisa), one of the comic villains who dogged the steps of America's sweethearts, Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon.
After her successful girl-next-door stint as Flora on "The Andy Griffith Show" and her comedic career as biker girl Puss, Nelson starred in 1970s "The Wild Scene" as Dr. Virginia Grant, a female psychiatrist. Unfortunately, this role did not live up to the wholesome image of Mayberry's Flora. This and a 1970 appearance on "Love, American Style" would be Nelson's last credited roles.
Alberta Nelson was married 35 years to Herbert Gilman. She passed away in Pennsylvania on April 29, 2006.
- Flora Malherbe - "Emmett's Anniversary" Episode 245. February 26, 1968
- Flora Malherbe - "Goober's Replacement" Episode 186. March 28, 1966
- Flora Malherbe - "Eat Your Heart Out" Episode 182. February 28, 1966
- Nettie Albright - "The Return of Barney Fife" Episode 176. January 10, 1966
Other Television Roles
- Love, American Style - Julia (1970)
- The Dick Van Dyke Show - Miss Reshovsky - Go Tell the Birds and Bees (episode # 5.10) November 17 1965
- Peyton Place - uncredited nurse - Episode 28 December 22, 1964
- Dr. Kildare - Dr. Ruth Carrison - Love Is A Sad Song (episode # 2.14) January 3 1963
- The New Breed - Anna - The Man with the Other Face (episode # 1.28) April 10 1962
- General Hospital - nurse (1963)
- Thriller - Marie Browning - Portrait Without a Face (episode # 2.14) December, 25 1961
- The Wild Scene (1970) - Dr. Virginia Grant
- The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini (1966) - Alberta/Puss
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965) - Puss
- Beach Blanket Bingo (1965) - Puss (Rat Pack member)
- Dr. Goldfoot & The Bikini Machine - (1965) "bad robot" reject #12
- aka Dr. G and the Bikini Machine (UK)
- Sergeant Dead Head - (1965) NASA secretary
- aka Sergeant Deadhead The Astro-nut
- aka Sergeant Deadhead, the Astronut
- Pajama Party (1964) - Alberta (Rat Pack member)
- aka The Maid and the Martian
- Bikini Beach (1964) - Puss/Alberta (Rat Pack member)
- Muscle Beach Party (1964) - muscle girl (Lisa)
- Beach Party (1963) - rat pack member
The original story came from Alberta Nelson as Flora Malherbe.