Mr. McBeeVee (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 66
- Aired: 64
- Original Air Date: 1962/10/01
- Writer(s): Ray Saffian Allen and Harvey Bullock
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Opie weaves the fabulous tale of Mr. McBeevee, a man who walks in the treetops, wears a silver hat, has twelve extra hands, blows smoke from his ears, and jingles when he walks as if he had rings on his fingers and bells on his toes. But other than those few quirks, Mr. McBeevee is normal. Andy and Barney laugh it off, but when Opie brings back a quarter he claims was given to him by his friend, Andy is forced to call the stories to a halt. Faced with the threat of a spanking, Opie is still unable to betray the existence of Mr. McBeevee. Andy may have to accept the unacceptable in the face of Opie's insistence. Later, when out for a walk, Andy happens past the very same tree Mr. McBeevee, a telephone linesman, is working in. Andy gets his own introduction to the man who walks in the trees and Opie is vindicated.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Veteran actor Karl Swenson would team again with Ronny Howard on a 1974 episode of "Happy Days" entitled "Richie's Car".
- When Barney is attempting to have Opie describe Mr. McBeevee, a stack of folders and files sits on Barney's desk. On the spine of one are the words, "The Hermit".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Karl Swenson - Mr. McBeevee
- Thurston Holmes - stunt double