Barney's Replacement (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 33
- Aired: 34
- Original Air Date: 1961/10/09
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Barney's pride gets the best of him when Bob Rogers, a booksmart rookie from the state attorney's office, is sent to Mayberry to get law enforcement experience. Convinced Andy is out to replace him, Barney beats him to the punch and resigns to enter the business world as a door-to-door Miracle Sweep vacuum salesman. Andy tricks Barney into rejoining the force by showing him that Rogers does not have the mettle for the job.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- In an odd string of coincidences, actor Mark Miller (Bob Rogers) played the role of "Roger" in a 1959 episode of "The Twilight Zone" entitled "I Dream of Genie", which starred later TAGS actor and director Howard Morris. Later, he guest starred as "Wild Bill Barrows" in the television show "I Dream of Jeannie" in a 1965 episode entitled "Ride 'Em Astronaut".
Andy: All ready for school, are ya?
Andy: Well, do a good day's work and act like somebody!
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Mark Miller - Bob Rogers
- Cheerio Meredith - Emma Brand
- Hope Summers - Clara
- Betty Lynn - Thelma Lou