Barney's First Car (TAGS Episode)
Barney's First Car
- Filmed: 90
- Aired: 90
- Original Air Date: 1963/04/01
- Writer(s): Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Barney becomes "Mr. Independent Wheels" when he spends most of his savings on a used car -- only to find he's been taken by a bunco ring led by mastermind Myrt Lesh. By coincidence, Andy and Barney nab the gang when the crooks mistakenly resteal the car, which they think has been abandoned on a country road.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- In the first season episode Runaway Kid Barney is seen driving a car other than the squad car and Andy mentions "Barney's car," so the title of this episode is misleading.
- Just after Barney says the line "Don't look back, Mrs. Lesch!" his and Andy's images are reversed or "flopped" (ostensibly so they're facing in the same direction that Mrs. Lesch is walking).
- Best known as "Grandma Walton", actress Ellen Corby was in the Hitchcock movie "Vertigo", and even appeared in an episode of "Batman" entitled "The Joker's Flying Saucer" as "Mrs. Green". Ms Corby also had an important role in the 1946 classic, Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life". She played Miss Davis, the lady who requests $20 to help her through the month, thereby staving-off the run on the Bailey Building and Loan. George Bailey immediately blesses her and kisses her on the head. By deduction she is only in her 30's in 1946, she, however, portrayed a lady twice that age, as was her style!
- Actress Hallene Hill appeared in the movie "The Ten Commandments".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Betty Lynn - Thelma Lou
- Jim Nabors - Gomer Pyle
- Ellen Corby - Myrt Lesh
- Allan Melvin - Jake
- Hallene Hill - Rose Temple
- Tom Allen - Rose's nephew, the priest