Opie's Fortune (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 136
- Aired: 136
- Original Air Date: 1964/11/16
- Writer(s): Ben Joelson and Art Baer
- Director: Coby Ruskin
Opie finds a man's purse containing $50 cash. When he tells his pa, Andy puts it away for safekeeping, telling Opie if no one claims it within a week, the money is his. Opie's patience is rewarded, and he buys a new fishing pole. When Opie returns to the courthouse to show it off, Barney and Andy are gone, but the owner of the purse finally shows. Opie realizes he must give the money back and leaves to get the money together. Andy misunderstands Opie's intentions and thinks he is trying to keep the money. Andy scolds him but quickly has a change of heart when he realizes that Opie was trying to return the money to its rightful owner.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actress Mary Jackson would return two seasons later and appear in the TAGS episode "The Senior Play".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Jon Lormer - Parnell Rigsby
- Mary Jackson - Mrs. Parnell Rigsby
- Bill McLean - Mac, the store clerk