Cousin Virgil (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 62
- Aired: 62
- Original Air Date: 1962/04/30
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Virgil, Barney's awkward cousin from New Jersey, visits Mayberry and immediately makes a mess of everything he touches. After Virgil has dumped a roast in Andy's lap, driven the squad car through his gate, and smashed a pane of glass while sweeping up around the courthouse, Andy tries to get him out of his hair by sending him to polish the cell keys. Virgil polishes the teeth right off of them, making it impossible to let Otis out when he's due to leave the cell. At his wit's end, Andy is shown a set of hand-carved wood figures that Virgil himself made. Andy realizes the best tonic for Virgil is a good dose of self-confidence and leaves him alone to remove the door of the cell.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This is the first appearance of Rance Howard, who is the father of Ronny and Clint Howard.
- Actor Michael J. Pollard was hired as a guest star on "Star Trek", playing "Jahn" in the episode "Miri". The script called for an actor 14 years of age, but Pollard got the part anyway since his agent convinced the show's producers that he looked like a teenager even though he was close to 30. He also played the role of "Hugo" in the original Broadway production of "Bye Bye Birdie" (costarring with Dick Van Dyke, Chita Rivera, Paul Lynde, and Dick Gautier) in the early 1960s. He received Academy and Golden Globe Award nominations for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Bonnie and Clyde".
- The bus stop is located in front of Franklyn Pharmacy, which offers sodas, drugs, and sundries.
- Virgil takes Southern Buslines from Macon with stops in Currituck and Springville. The real Currituck, NC is on the state's northeast coast, just across Currituck Sound from Knotts Island.
- A family picture of Andy, Aunt Bee, and Opie hangs on the back wall of the backroom of the courthouse.
- Mayberry's Feed & Grain was established in 1890.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Hal Smith - Otis Campbell
- Michael J. Pollard - Virgil
- Rance Howard - bus driver