Barney and the Governor (TAGS Episode)
Barney and the Governor
- Filmed: 76
- Aired: 78
- Original Air Date: 1963/01/07
- Writer(s): Bill Freedman and Henry Sharp
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Barney is goaded into ticketing the governor's car and mistakenly believes Andy is setting him up for a dressing-down by the governor. In fact, the governor is coming to Mayberry to give him a personal commendation for performing a job without showing favoritism. In the midst of all the action, Otis secretly spikes the water tank, giving both Barney and Mayor Stoner a surprise snootful.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- The license plate on the Governor's car appears to have been
"retouched", possibly by making "California" look like "North Carolina"
- Actor Carl Benton Reid played "Larry Slade" in the original Broadway production of Eugene O' Neill's "The Iceman Cometh", in 1946.
- Democrat Terry Sanford was the real Governor of North Carolina during the airing of this episode.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Parley Baer - Mayor Roy Stoner
- Hal Smith - Otis Campbell
- Burt Mustin - Judd
- Joe Hamilton - Chester
- Bob McQuain - postal clerk
- Carl Benton Reid - Governor
- Rance Howard - chauffeur