Andy's English Valet (TAGS Episode)
From Mayberry Historical Society
Andy's English Valet
- Filmed: 89
- Aired: 89
- Original Air Date: 1963/03/25
- Writer(s): Harvey Bullock
- Director: Bob Sweeney
A gentleman's gentleman, Malcolm Merriweather, passes through Mayberry on his American tour. Entering town with a bang, he manages to cause a truck accident and is forced to work off the damages as Andy's personal valet.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Bernard Fox was in both the 1997 movie "Titanic" and the earlier version of the tragedy, 1958's "A Night to Remember". In the latter, he actually got to deliver the immortal line, "Iceberg ahead, sir!". He also appeared as Dr. Bombay (a witch doctor) on "Bewitched", repeated the role on the sequel "Tabitha", and again on "Passions".
- "Afters" is British slang for dessert, since it comes after the meal.
- "Bubble and squeak" is British slang for a traditional English meal made of fried vegetables left over from a roast dinner. The usual ingredients include potatoes, cabbage, carrots and peas. The name comes from the sound the food makes as it cooks.
- "Bangers and mash" is British slang for mashed potatoes and link sausages, which resemble firecrackers, or, in British slang, "bangers," for the noise they make when they explode.
- "Bobby dazzler" is a British slang term referring to someone who is exceptionally attractive or well-dressed.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Bernard Fox - Malcolm Merriweather
- Bob McQuain - Fletch Roberts