A Deal is a Deal (TAGS Episode)
A Deal is a Deal
- Filmed: 122
- Aired: 121
- Original Air Date: 1964/04/06
- Writer(s): John Whedon
- Director: Jeffrey Hayden
Opie and his pals get suckered into selling useless salve in order to win a pony. When one of the boys gives up and sends his salve back, he gets a letter from the Miracle Salve Company advising that he has been blacklisted. Barney and Gomer head to Mount Pilot to "fight fire with fire." Disguised as Dr. Pendyke, D.V.M. Barney fools the two Miracle Salve cons into buying all their salve back by convincing them it is a miracle cure for the mange. The plan backfires when a truckload of it arrives at the Taylors' front door addressed to Opie Taylor Sr., the name Gomer used as an alias.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Keith Thibodeaux, billed as "Richard Keith" in 7 TAGS episodes, started playing drums at the age of two. He began touring the United States at the age of three and ended up in Hollywood, California, auditioning for Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball's popular comedy "I Love Lucy". He landed the role of Little Ricky. While attending the University of Louisiana, Keith joined a mainstream rock band, "David and the Giants" as a drummer, singer, and songwriter. He left the band several years later but after Keith became a Christian, the band regrouped under the same name and went on to become one of the nation's top contemporary Christian bands. Keith and the band toured the world, recording more than a dozen albums before he left in 1989.
- Actor George Petrie died on his 85th birthday, in 1997.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Jim Nabors - Gomer Pyle
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- George Petrie - Lenny
- Lewis Charles - salve dealer
- Richard Keith - Johnny Paul Jason
- Dennis Rush - Howie Pruitt
- David A. Bailey Trey Bowden