A Date For Gomer (TAGS Episode)
A Date for Gomer
- Filmed: 105
- Aired: 104
- Original Air Date: 1963/11/25
- Writer(s): Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum
- Director: Dick Crenna
The big Chamber of Commerce dance is approaching, and Thelma Lou refuses to go with Barney unless he gets a date for her cousin Mary Grace Gossage, who is visiting from out of town. Both Andy and Barney are about to give up when Gomer appears. Just when all seems right, Gomer jumps up and leaves Mary Grace. After the entire evening is ruined, the four return to Thel's to find Mary Grace and Gomer dancing and having the time of their lives. Gomer had just gone off to find her a corsage.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actress Mary Grace Canfield would play the role of "Ralph" in 20 episodes of "Green Acres" and reprise the role in "The Return To Green Acres".
- Murphy's House of the Nine Flavors is a Mayberry ice-cream parlor. They offer West Indian Licorice Mocha Delight for $0.40.
- Norman's Groceteria is another Mayberry business. Mrs. Speers works there.
- Unseen Mayberrian's mentioned in this episode include Al Becker, Old Mr. Perkins, Nate Bushy, Luke Taft (he likes to hit the sauce), and Gomer's friend, Skinny Griffin.
- Thelma Lou's house number is 830.
- Andy references Oscar-nominated actor Ralph Bellamy, best known for 1937's The Awful Truth.
- This episode aired the evening of Monday, November 25, 1963. State funeral services for President John F. Kennedy were held in Washington, DC earlier in the day. The president was assassinated the previous Friday in Dallas, Texas.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Aneta Corsaut - Helen Crump
- Betty Lynn - Thelma Lou
- Jim Nabors - Gomer Pyle
- Mary Grace Canfield - Mary Grace Gossage