Darling Baby, The (TAGS Episode)
The Darling Baby
- Filmed: 139
- Aired: 139
- Original Air Date: 1964/12/07
- Writer(s): Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum
- Director: Howard Morris
The Darlings return to Mayberry searching for an appropriate husband for Charlene's newborn girl Andylina. During a social call on the Taylors, Briscoe thinks Opie is the man for the job, so he tries to railroad Andy into a contract of marriage between his son and Briscoe's granddaughter. Andy spooks Briscoe by signing the contract with a pen loaded with disappearing ink. Believing there's witchery in the Taylor bloodline, Briscoe packs up his family and heads back to the hills.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This is the only known appearance of the Andylina character.
- The Halcyon Loretta Winslow(Beasto Maristo) dialogue between Andy and Barney occurs in this episode.
- Charlene performs "There is a Time" with her brothers.
- The song was written by Rodney Dillard and Mitch Jayne performed by The Dillards along with Maggie Peterson. The Dillards normally performed this song without Maggie. She only performed it with them on The Andy Griffith Show. In more recent years, Maggie has appeared with the different incarnations of The Dillards and usually performs "There is a Time" with them to the delight of the crowds.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Denver Pyle - Briscoe Darling
- Maggie Peterson - Charlene Darling
- The Dillards - The Darling Boys
- There Is a Time
- - written by Rodney Dillard and Mitch Jayne performed by The Dillards on The Andy Griffith Show episodes The Darling Baby and The Darling Fortune. Andy Griffith sings the song in Guest in the House.
- Ebo Walker
- Stay a Little Longer