Opie and His Merry Men (TAGS Episode)
Opie and His Merry Men
- Filmed: 108
- Aired: 107
- Original Air Date: 1963/12/30
- Writer(s): John Whedon
- Director: Dick Crenna
Opie plays Robin Hood to his own Sherwood Forest gang and gets involved in stealing from the "rich" Mayberry citizens in order to feed the "poor" hobo whom the gang meets in the woods. Andy goes out to meet their new friend in order to prove to Opie and the others that Andy is a good sheriff and that the hobo has been taking advantage of the kids' good intentions.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Douglas Fowley later appeared in an episode of "Gomer Pyle" entitled "Gomer And The Father Figure" and the the "Mayberry R.F.D." episode "The New Well". But his most famous role was as Roscoe Dexter in the 1952 classic "Singin' In The Rain".
- Actor Keith Thibodeaux, billed as "Richard Keith" in 7 TAGS episodes, started playing drums at the age of two. He began touring the United States at the age of three and ended up in Hollywood, California, auditioning for Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball's popular comedy "I Love Lucy". He landed the role of Little Ricky. While attending the University of Louisiana, Keith joined a mainstream rock band, "David and the Giants" as a drummer, singer, and songwriter. He left the band several years later but after Keith became a Christian, the band regrouped under the same name and went on to become one of the nation's top contemporary Christian bands. Keith and the band toured the world, recording more than a dozen albums before he left in 1989.
- The kids play in Crouch's Woods, near the lake.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Douglas Fowley - Wary Willy the hobo
- Richard Keith - Johnny Paul Jason
- Dennis Rush - Howie Pruitt
- Joey Scott - Ralph Porter