Goober's Replacement (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 186
- Aired: 187
- Original Air Date: 1966/03/28
- Writer(s): Stan Dreben and Howard Merrill
- Director: Alan Rafkin
Goober Pyle's girlfriend from the diner, Flora Malherbe, offers to take his place at Wally's Service Station while he's away on a fishing trip. Wally isn't sure about hiring a woman so Goober convinces him to give her a try. When Flora appears at the station wearing slacks, a work shirt, an oil rag, a service cap, and a money changer on her belt Wally's business is better than ever.
Goober returns from his trip to discover that Wally and the station customers are quite happy with Flora and in no hurry for Goober to resume his duties. Wally even encourages Goober to take more time off.
Goober soon discovers Flora is more interested in making improvements at the station than she is in romance and he contemplates leaving Mayberry. Andy steps in to convince Flora to save her relationship with Goober by stepping down to allow Goober to have his old job back.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This episode marks one of the few times a woman wears slacks on "The Andy Griffith Show" as well as one of the rare times a woman has a job typically associated with men.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- George Lindsey - Goober Pyle
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Alberta Nelson - Flora Malherbe
- Cliff Norton - Wally
- Jason Johnson - Mr. Weaver
- Charles Smith - counter man
- Maudie Prickett - Edna Larch
- Burt Mustin - old geezer
- David Azar - man