Pickle Story, The (TAGS Episode)
The Pickle Story
- Filmed: 43
- Aired: 43
- Original Air Date: 1961/12/18
- Writer(s): Harvey Bullock
- Director: Bob Sweeney
It's canning time again, and Aunt Bee has put up another batch of pickles. After realizing the only thing they're good for is killing flies brave enough to land on them, Andy and Barney decide to substitute store-bought for her homemade and hand out the originals to travelers passing through Mayberry. After the switch, Bee decides to enter her pickles in the county fair. Unfortunately, the perennial winner is Clara Johnson, Bee's best friend, and she has her heart set on winning her 12th blue ribbon in a row. Andy and Barney have no choice but to get rid of all eight jars before she can enter, so they eat night and day until all the pickles are gone. They do their work proudly, but Bee decides that since the boys liked them so much, she will make a double batch.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- It takes 2-3 months for pickles to set in jars before they are ready to eat.
- Don Knotts stated, various times, that this was his favorite TAGS episode.
- Based on the show's airdate of 1961, Clara would have won her first pickle competition in 1949.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Hope Summers - Clara Johnson
- Lee Kreiger - out-of-state motorist
- Stanley Farrar - 1st judge
- Warren Parker - 2nd judge