Ellie Comes to Town (TAGS Episode)
Ellie Comes to Town
- Filmed: 6
- Aired: 4
- Original Air Date: 1960/10/24
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Don Weis
The first outsider to move to town, Ellie May Walker, Ph.G(Pharmacy Gal), arrives to help her uncle at Walker's Drug Store. Before long she is faced with adapting to Mayberry ways after refusing to sell Emma Brand , the town hypochondriac, sugar pills.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- According to her diploma, Ellie graduated from Bernard College.
- Ellie's degree was Ph.G and this is an actual pharmacy degree. For example, the University of Mississippi originally conferred two degrees: the bachelor or pharmacy (Ph.B.) and the graduate of pharmacy (Ph.G.). Both degrees were awarded to students who completed a two-year curriculum. Students who had four years experience in pharmacy practice were awarded the Ph.G. All students were required to complete 864 hours of lecture and 936 hours of laboratory work.
- Most pharmacists today hold a Pharm.D.
- One of three episodes in which the Mayberry patrol car had the tag number DC-269 rather than the usual license plate JL-327. ( Opie's Charity, Ellie Comes to Town, Andy the Matchmaker)
- This episode marks the first time Barney asks Andy to hold the book on him while he tries to recite something he says he has memorized. Of course Barney can't even remember the first word, much less the rest of it, and his tortured looks and mannerisms as he tries to remember make for a funny scene.
- The word "Enlargements" is misspelled on the shelving behind the register at Walker's Drugstore. The sign reads "ENLARGMENTS 24 HOUR DEVELOPING AND PRINTING". The second "E" is missing in "enlargements." The sign wasn't seen corrected until episode #14 The Horse Trader.
- Elinor Donahue played Betty ("Princess") Anderson from 1954 to 1960 on the classic sit-com "Father Knows Best" and played Felix's girlfriend, Miriam Welby, on "The Odd Couple" seasons 2-5.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- Cheerio Meredith - Emma Brand