Andy Saves Barney's Morale (TAGS Episode)
Andy Saves Barney's Morale
- Filmed: 16
- Aired: 20
- Original Air Date: 1961/02/20
- Writer(s): David Adler
- Director: Bob Sweeney
When Andy is called out of town, Barney gets his first chance as Actin' Sheriff of Mayberry and jails twenty citizens, including the bank president, Mayor Pike, and Aunt Bee. Andy returns and promptly dismisses all the prisoners. Barney is so discouraged that he threatens to quit, so Andy spreads the word that he might have to let Barney go. The citizens return, jail themselves, and demand they be tried as charged.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Andy is seen telling Jud and Chester that he his firing Barney. In the next scene, Andy informs the group gathered in Floyd’s Barbershop of his decision. Chester is present, where he appears to be hearing the news for the first time.
- On the date that this episode first aired, Actor Eddie Albert celebrated his 54th birthday.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Hal Smith - Otis Campbell
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Florence MacMichael - Hilda Mae
- Burt Mustin - Jud Fletcher
- Dick Elliott - Mayor Pike
- Joseph Hamilton - Chester Jones
- George Dunn - Pete