Stranger in Town (TAGS Episode)
Stranger in Town
- Filmed: 10
- Aired: 12
- Original Air Date: 1960/12/26
- Writer(s): Arthur Stander
- Director: Don Weis
Ed Sawyer, a mysterious stranger, arrives in Mayberry and puts the entire town on edge when he displays an eerie familiarity with the town's people, places, and things. Andy finally confronts Sawyer and learns that he is neither a foreign spy nor a spook, but only a man without a home.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This is the first episode in which Floyd the barber appears and he is played by Walter Baldwin rather than the more familiar Howard McNear. Floyd's last name is neither mentioned nor shown. "Floyd's BARBER SHOP" is painted in the lower left corner of the front window of his shop.
- Inside Floyd's barbershop, about 3:20 into this episode, when two men look out the front window the glass is divided into four panes. The next shot, from outside, shows the men looking thru a single large pane of glass. The next shot is again from inside the shop and shows the divided glass once more. About 15:45, shot from outside, when Andy and Barney exit the shop and pass by on the sidewalk, the window is divided into four panes again.
- The entrance to the beauty shop next door is inside the barbershop. This door disappears later in the series.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Phil Chambers - Jason
- Walter Baldwin - Floyd "the first"
- William Lanteau - Ed Sawyer
- George Dunn - Pete
- Marlene Willis - Lucy Matthews
- Sara Seegar - Mrs. Buntley
- Pat Colby - Bill Matthews
- William Erwin - George Sapperly