New Housekeeper, The (TAGS Episode)
The New Housekeeper
- Filmed: 1
- Aired: 1
- Original Air Date: 1960/10/03
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Sheldon Leonard
In the premiere, Andy asks Aunt Bee to come to Mayberry and help raise his son, Opie, after Rose, their old housekeeper, gets married. Opie refuses to accept Aunt Bee because she does things differently than Rose. Just as Aunt Bee is about to leave the Taylor home, Opie stops her because he realizes that she needs him.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Opie mentions his dog Gulliver. As a boy, Ron Howard had a dog named Gulliver.
- During a scene up in Opie's bedroom, about fifteen minutes into the episode, the moving shadow of a boom microphone is visible for several seconds on the wall next to the bed as Andy enters and lies across the bed. Later, as Andy gets up and walks to a table, the shadow reappears moving up and onto the back wall and top of the door and settles near the center of the door.
- At about 5:40 into this episode, Andy and Barney call each other cousins. This is the first of three times; the other two references are also first season episodes The Manhunt and Runaway Kid. Their relationship was never mentioned in later seasons.
- The role of "Wilber Pines", Rose's fiance, was played by Frank Ferguson, who would later in the first season play the role of "Sam Lindsey" in two episodes (12 and 20), and in later years would play "Charlie Foley", the kind-hearted butcher who would offer to store Aunt Bee's meat from Diamond Jim's free of charge (episode 120) and would later get punched in the nose by Floyd (episode 152).
- Actress Mary Treen also portrayed the part of Sam's wife in the TAGS episode, "Ellie For Council".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Cheerio Meredith - Emma Brand
- Frank Ferguson - Wilbur Pines
- Mary Treen - Rose