Horse Trader, The (TAGS Episode)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Horse Trader
- Filmed: 14
- Aired: 14
- Original Air Date: 1961/01/09
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Andy proves fallible when he cons a traveling antique dealer into buying the town's old cannon with a fabulously fictional story of the cannon's glorious past. Opie follows his father's example and cons a friend of his into trading roller skates for some "licorice seeds" that Opie got in a bad trade for his cap pistol. Andy, again seeing his own actions mirrored by his son, turns around and makes ammends for his bad dealings.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- The cannon that is hauled away in this episode and is returned to the city as a gift in the epilogue is seen in Mayberry years later in a fifth season episode The Cannon. The most likely reason being that writer Jack Elinson wrote both episodes.
- Actor Casey Adams was also known as Max Showalter. He played the part of "Ward Cleaver" in the pilot episode of "Leave It To Beaver".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- Dick Elliott - Mayor Pike
- Casey Adams - Ralph Mason
- Pearl Cooper - council member
- Spec O'Donald - council member