Convicts at Large (TAGS Episode)
Convicts at Large
- Filmed: 74
- Aired: 74
- Original Air Date: 1962/12/10
- Writer(s): Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Barney and Floyd are held hostage by a gang of escaped female convicts who have been hiding in O'Malley's cabin outside of town. Andy, who spots Floyd (with one of the convicts)in town buying groceries, thinks they have a little party going on until O'Malley arrives back in town on the bus. Andy and O'Malley engineer a clever scheme and capture all but the ringleader, Big Maude, whom Barney manages to tango out the door and into cuffs.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actress Reta Shaw, who played "Big Maude Tyler", would later appear in Episode 116, "The Song Festers," as Barney's voice teacher "Eleanora Poultice".
- Actress Jane Dulo was in the Elvis movie "Roustabout".
- Naomi and her husbands song is Poor Butterfly. Later heard on My Fair Ernest T. Bass (20:10 mins) at Mrs. Wiley's.
- This was Howard McNear's last episode before suffering a stroke. He returned in the 1964 episode Divorce, Mountain Style
- Actress Jean Carson is perhaps better known as "Fun Girl" Skippy.
- Charlie O'Malley's father-in-law owns Jenson Orthopedic Loafers.
- It is never stated, but Floyd and Barney must have found gas at O'Malley's at some unseen point while being held hostage, as Floyd's car is used to drive into town for groceries.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Knotts - Barney Fife
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Reta Shaw - Big Maude Tyler
- Jane Dulo - Sally
- Jean Carson - Naomi Connors
- Willis Bouchey - Charlie O'Malley