Luck of Newton Monroe, The (TAGS Episode)
The Luck of Newton Monroe
- Filmed: 156
- Aired: 156
- Original Air Date: 1965/04/12
- Writer(s): Bill Idelson and Sam Bobrick
- Director: Coby Ruskin
Andy runs in Newton Monroe, a traveling salesman, for operating a shop from the trunk of his car. When he realizes Monroe is a man down on himself and his luck, Andy tries to build his self-esteem. Monroe makes a mess of every job Andy gives him. Andy sees the horrible job he has done painting Andy's front porch, so Andy repaints it himself but convinces Monroe it was his handiwork. Monroe realizes that he's not inept -- he's "ept." Monroe gives up being a traveling salesman to become a painter.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- It is revealed in this episode that there is a basement in the courthouse, that we never get to see.
- Actor Don Rickles aspired to be a serious actor and studied drama at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts before doing stand-up comedy. His classmates included Grace Kelly, Anne Bancroft and Jason Robards.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- George Lindsey - Goober Pyle
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Don Rickles - Newton Monroe