Rivals, The (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 91
- Aired: 91
- Original Air Date: 1963/04/08
- Writer(s): Harvey Bullock
- Director: Bob Sweeney
When Opie can't do anything to catch the eye of little Karen Burgess, Thel steps in to cheer him up and ends up the object of Opie's affections. Barney suddely finds he's the third wheel and demands Andy have a talk with the boy. Andy drives the point home, and Opie dumps Thel for Karen.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- On the date this episode first aired, singer Julian Lennon was born.
- The 35th Academy Awards were handed out the night this episode aired. Lawrence of Arabia won Best Picture; Gregory Peck was Best Actor for playing Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird; Anne Bancroft won Best Actress for her role as Anne Sullivan in The Miracle Worker.
- Opie's bedtime is 8:30 pm.
- Unseen character Mr. McGinnis is mentioned. Andy suggests that Opie go climb his apple trees.
- Unseen character Mrs. Purvis calls Andy to rescue her cat.
- Barney is 35 years old in this episode.
- During this episode, a "cowboy picture" is showing at the Mayberry Grand.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Betty Lynn - Thelma Lou
- Ronda Jeter - Karen Burgess