Opie's Hobo Friend (TAGS Episode)
Opie's Hobo Friend
- Filmed: 40
- Aired: 38
- Original Air Date: 1961/11/13
- Writer(s): Harvey Bullock
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Opie becomes fascinated with David Browne, a vagrant hobo who uses his wits to live on the edge of the law. After realizing his son has taken a liking to the wily wanderer, Andy tries to find David some honest work. Andy's plan goes sour when Opie, at Dave's encourgement, is caught playing hooky. Andy then has a long talk with the hobo. Dave sees his side and arranges to get himself arrested in order to show Opie that he was not the man Opie thought him to be.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Buddy Ebsen was originally cast as the Tin Man in 1939's The Wizard of Oz. Buddy was hospitalized as a result of inhaling aluminum powder used as part of his make-up. One chorus of "We're Off to See the Wizard" in the movie and soundtrack album retain Ebsen's original vocals as the Tin Man, recorded before he was forced to leave the production. Because of the prolonged hospitalization, he was replaced by Jack Haley (whose reformulated make-up used pre-mixed aluminium dust), and Ebsen's scenes were re-shot using Haley. Footage of Ebsen as the Tin Man still exists, and was included as an extra with the U.S. 50th anniversary video release of The Wizard of Oz. In the 1930s, Disney animators filmed him dancing in front of a grid to "choreograph" Mickey Mouse's dance steps for the Silly Symphony cartoons.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Buddy Ebsen - David Browne