New Doctor, The (TAGS Episode)
The New Doctor
- Filmed: 24
- Aired: 24
- Original Air Date: 1961/03/27
- Writer(s):Jack Elinsonand Charles Stewart
- Director:Bob Sweeney
Barney convinces Andy that handsome, young Dr. Robert Benson is moving in on Ellie. Andy decides to act and steps between these "two people lost in a world of pills" to claim Ellie's hand. When he learns that Dr. Benson is actually about to be married to someone else, Andy is forced into a proposal. Ellie, though, turns him down.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- George Nader, who plays the part of "Dr. Robert Benson", was in Rock Hudson's will.
- In the mid-1970s, Nader was involved in a serious automobile accident. He suffered an eye injury which made him particularly sensitive to the bright lights of movie sets. According to an interview with the German fanzine 'Splatting Image' his eye injury was the result of an accident during the production of the never released movie 'Zigzag'. Nader got injured while using some blank pistol rounds (one of them exploded too early next to his eyes). Since filming took place on the Philippines no adequate treatment was taken in time, resulting in the partial loss of his eyesight and the aforementioned sensitivity.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- George Nader - Dr. Robert Benson