Mayberry on Record (TAGS Episode)
Mayberry on Record
- Filmed: 19
- Aired: 19
- Original Air Date: 1961/02/13
- Writer(s): Benedict Freeman and Jack Fenton Murray
- Director: Gene Reynolds
Mr. Maxwell, an independent record producer, passes through Mayberry and records some of the local talent. After Barney, Floyd, and several other locals invest some money with Maxwell, Andy becomes suspicious. Having convinced the town they've been conned, Andy has to eat his words when Maxwell returns with the syndicate's first dividend check.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This is the first episode in which we see Barney smoke. He is seen smoking a cigar in the epilogue.
- Actor Hugh Marlowe appeared the next year as "Roy Comstock" in the classic movie "The Birdman Of Alcatraz". He also voiced the part of Ellery Queen in the CBS radio series "The Adventures of Ellery Queen" in 1940.
- Hugh Marlowe's most memorable role was that of Mr. Stevens in the sci-fi classic, "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Ironically, he was one of the tenants (along w/ Michael Rennie as Klaatu) in a boarding house run by Frances Bavier. Billy Gray, Elinore Donahue's brother in "Father Knows Best", also has a prominent role in this classic.
- It appears that Andy finally received the magnetic map he requested from Captain Barker in #2 “The Manhunt”. He is seen using a similar map in this episode.
- The album seen at the end of the episode is titled Music From Mayberry and features Andy on the cover. The cover is, in reality, Andy Griffith Shouts The Blues & Old Timey Songs, from 1959.
- The band playing in the barber shop is "The Country Boys"
- Two Chairs No Waiting 278: Mayberry on Record Reversed - Podcast episode dealing with the Mayberry on Record episode of TAGS.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- The Country Boys - the band
- William Erwin - investor in hat
- Hugh Marlowe - Mr. Maxwell
- George Dunn - Pete