Manhunt, The (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 2
- Aired: 2
- Original Air Date: 1960/10/10
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Don Weis
Andy and Barney are the brunt of jokes by state troopers who come to Mayberry to capture an escaped convict. Andy is able to prove that he is not the country bumpkin the troopers think he is when he captures the convict himself by allowing him to steal his leaky fishing boat.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This episode is the only time we ever see Barney's mother. He stops her at a checkpoint and makes her get out of the car to be searched. She was played by actress Lillian Culver (of the Culver City Culvers). She was a distant cousin of actor Brad Pitt.
- Andy's rowboat is named Gertrude.
- Like a handful of other actors, Ken Lynch made multiple appearances as different characters on TAGS. Of the four times he appeared on the show, three of them were as law enforcement officers. He also made six appearances on the TAGS spin-off, "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C."
- The Mayberry Squad car bears the tag number JL 327 in this episode. It will be one of two different tag numbers seen on the car during the series. Incidentally, the other one, DC 269, is used in this episode as the tag number for the lead State Police car that pulls up in front of the Mayberry Courthouse.
- In a brief interior shot of Emma's house, a photo of a young Frances Bavier is seen on the wall. This photo is usually seen in the Taylor home on a wall outside the kitchen.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Hal Smith - Otis Campbell
- Dick Elliott - Mayor Pike
- Cheerio Meredith - Emma Brand
- Ken Lynch - Captain Barker
- Mike Steen - Officer Morgan
- Lillian Culver - Mrs. Fife
- Norman Leavitt- Cal
- Frank Gerstle - Dirksen
- Frank Challee - loafer