Christmas Story, The (TAGS Episode)
The Christmas Story
- Filmed: 11
- Aired: 11
- Original Air Date: 1960/12/19
- Writer(s): David Adler
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Andy and Barney keep the spirit of Christmas alive for Sam Muggins and his family after the town Scrooge, Ben Weaver, demands Andy keep Muggins icarcerated for running a still. After being accidently inoculated with a little of the courthouse's Christmas spirit, Weaver comes around and manages to get himself arrested so he can bring gifts for all.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This is the first appearance of the "Ben Weaver" character.
- Ben Weaver says that he sells "spirits" in his store, but Mayberry is dry.
- Sam Edwards, Margaret Kerry, and Joy Ellison play the Scoby family in a later episode of season one, No. 28, Andy Forecloses.
- This is the first character played by Joy Ellison, who plays five characters in five episodes.
- When Ben Weaver is in the alley, he tries to peek into the courthouse by standing on a crate. Just as he pulls himself up using the bars on the window, you can see the entire wall move a little.
- This is the only Christmas-themed episode in the entire run of the series.
- Margaret Kerry was the voice of Tinker Bell in the Disney Studio's "Peter Pan".
- Andy is constantly arresting citizens of Mayberry for moonshining, and in "Alcohol and Old Lace" he explicitly states that Mayberry County is "dry." But in this episode, Ben Weaver hauls Sam Muggins in for making homebrew with the complaint that it siphons off profits from his store, because he sells liquor.
- In the alley behind the courthouse is seen a banner reading "Circus" and a poster announcing "Harness Racing at the Fairgrounds Every Saturday".
- The tag number on Ben Weaver's car is BTV 663
- Notice the Christmas cards being opened by Andy and Barney, in particular the card Andy opens featuring a snowman holding boxes of presents. The card seems to shift around during the scene. After Andy has it, Barney opens the same card from Hilda Mae. However, on the next shot, Hilda Mae's card has changed and Andy again has the snowman card.
- The card Andy and Barney receive from the Hubacher Brothers features a photo (with Elmer in the middle) and the words, "Greetings from State Prison". In a slight blooper, when Andy reads the card aloud he is heard to say, "Merry Christmas from State Prison".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- Will Wright - Ben Weaver
- Sam Edwards - Sam Muggins
- Margaret Kerry - Bess Muggins
- Joy Ellison - Effie Muggins
- Kelly Flynn - Billy Muggins