Beauty Contest, The (TAGS Episode)
The Beauty Contest
- Filmed: 20
- Aired: 16
- Original Air Date: 1961/01/23
- Writer(s): Jack Elinson and Charles Stewart
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Andy finds himself the center of attention when chosen to judge the Founder's Day beauty contest. Everyone in town tries to persuade him to get behind his or her pick. His solution, at the last moment, is to award the honor to an older woman, Erma Bishop, whose selfless work qualifies her as the woman who is most suited to wear the crown.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Mary Wiggins is the second of four characters Joy Ellison plays in five episodes.
- Josie Loyd appears as "Juanita Pike". She would appear later, more famously, as "Lydia Crosswaithe".
- Floyd mentions he has another relative in Mayberry, his niece, Virginia Lee.
- Actress Elvia Allman appeared on 14 episodes of "Petticoat Junction" as "Selma Plout", from 1963 to 1970. During that same period of time, she appeared as "Elverna Bradshaw" on 13 episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Elinor Donahue - Ellie Walker
- Howard McNear - Floyd Lawson
- Dick Elliott - Mayor Pike
- Gail Lucas - Barbara Sue Lindsey
- Yvonne Adrian - Darlene Swanson
- Elvia Allman - Henrietta Swanson
- Lillian Bronson - Erma Bishop
- Josie Lloyd - Josephine Pike
- Frank Ferguson - Sam Lindsey
- Joy Ellison - Mary Wiggins