Barney and the Governor (TAGS Episode)
Barney and the Governor
- Filmed: 76
- Aired: 78
- Original Air Date: 1963/01/07
- Writer(s): Bill Freedman and Henry Sharp
- Director: Bob Sweeney
Barney is goaded into ticketing the governor's car and mistakenly believes Andy is setting him up for a dressing-down by the governor. In fact, the governor is coming to Mayberry to give him a personal commendation for performing a job without showing favoritism. In the midst of all the action, Otis secretly spikes the water tank, giving both Barney and Mayor Stoner a surprise snootful.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- The license plate on the Governor's car appears to have been
"retouched", possibly by making "California" look like "North Carolina"
- Actor Carl Benton Reid played "Larry Slade" in the original Broadway production of Eugene O' Neill's "The Iceman Cometh", in 1946.
- Democrat Terry Sanford was the real Governor of North Carolina during the airing of this episode.
- Odd historical coincidence in that this episode opens with the Governor's car parked outside the US Post Office in Mayberry. The night the episode aired, January 7, 1963, is the date the US Postal Service increased the price of first class stamps from 4-cents to 5-cents, the first cost increase for mailing a letter since 1958.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Parley Baer - Mayor Roy Stoner
- Hal Smith - Otis Campbell
- Burt Mustin - Judd
- Joe Hamilton - Chester
- Bob McQuain - postal clerk
- Carl Benton Reid - Governor
- Rance Howard - chauffeur