Barney Hosts a Summit Meeting (TAGS Episode)
Barney Hosts a Summit Metting
- Filmed: 240
- Aired: 240
- Original Air Date: 1968/01/28
- Writer(s): Aaron Ruben
- Director: Lee Phillips
Barney is sent to Mayberry to arrange accommodations for an upcoming U.S.--Soviet summit. When Barney fails to secure a suitable home, Andy volunteers his. The meeting starts of badly--the quarters are cramped, the neighbors are bothersome--and all looks lost when both sides end up at the kitchen table for a midnight snack of Aunt Bee's cold fried chicken. The result is a huge success, and Barney earns another feather in his fedora.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- This episode marks the final appearance of Barney in the series.
- Actor Alan Oppenheimer would later play the part of "Dr. Rudy Wells" in "The Six Million Dollar Man".
- Rumors report that actor Paul Fix taught John Wayne to walk the way he did. They were friends when Wayne first started acting, and Wayne wanted something to set him apart, so Fix suggested the rolling gait that became his trademark. Fix would later play "Sheriff Michah Torrance" on the TV series "The Rifleman".
- Actor Richard X. Slattery worked as an NYPD street cop for 12 years. He is probably best known for playing service station owner "Merv" in commercials for Union-76 in the 1970s and early 1980s.
- Actor Ben Astar was born in Israel in 1909 (then called Palestine).
- Actor Michael Higgins was in the 2002 movie "Swimfan".
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Tayor
- George Lindsey - Goober Pyle
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Richard X. Slattery - Captain Dewhurst
- Ben Astar - Mr. Vasilievich
- Alan Oppenheimer - Mr. Ruskin, the Interpreter
- Michael Higgins - Mr. Clifford
- Paul Fix - Mr. McCabe
- Hollis Morrison - Jenkins
- Charles Hovarth - Peterson
- undetermined - Mr. Schwamp