Barney's Physical (TAGS Episode)
- Filmed: 131
- Aired: 129
- Original Air Date: 1964/10/28
- Writer(s): Bob Ross
- Director: Howard Morris
On Barney's fifth anniversary with the sheriff's department, Andy learns that Barney's job is in jeopardy when the state passes new height and weight requirements. Andy breaks the news to Barney, who loses his temper and decides to quit. Andy doesn't give in so fast. He gets Bee to fatten him up and uses a harness Asa was given by Doc Harvey to stretch him to meet the new standards.
Odd Facts Known by Few
- Actor Keith Thibodeaux, billed as "Richard Keith" in 7 TAGS episodes, started playing drums at the age of two. He began touring the United States at the age of three and ended up in Hollywood, California, auditioning for Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball's popular comedy "I Love Lucy". He landed the role of Little Ricky. While attending the University of Louisiana, Keith joined a mainstream rock band, "David and the Giants" as a drummer, singer, and songwriter. He left the band several years later but after Keith became a Christian, the band regrouped under the same name and went on to become one of the nation's top contemporary Christian bands. Keith and the band toured the world, recording more than a dozen albums before he left in 1989.
- Actor Larry Thor was born in Canada.
- At 13:05 into the episode (on the DVDs), when Barney sits down at the table to eat a pocket appears on his shirt. Just seconds earlier you can clearly see that his shirt has no pocket. After the pocket appears, you can see that there is something in the pocket as well.
- Andy Griffith - Andy Taylor
- Ronny Howard - Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier - Aunt Bee Taylor
- Don Knotts - Barney Fife
- Betty Lynn - Thelma Lou
- Charles Thompson - Asa Bascombe
- Richard Keith - Johnny Paul Jason
- Dennis Rush - Howie Pruitt
- Larry Thor - Mr. Bronson